If you live in a big city, there is likely an Amazon warehouse not far from your home. In an effort to offer same-day delivery to many consumers, Amazon has significantly expanded the size of Amazon’s US warehouses over the past decade and has plans for rapid expansion over the next few years. So much so, that Amazon will have at least 355 warehouses and sorting centers by the end of 2023. These warehouses will total nearly 320 million square feet across the United States. The medium sized warehouse is small compared to these giant Amazon warehouses. 138,685 of these medium sized warehouses will fit into the current space occupied by these Amazon warehouses. BigRentz analyzed publicly available Amazon warehouse data to determine the total US Amazon warehouse space per square foot as well as the states with the largest and least Amazon warehouse space per capita.
What countries have the largest number of Amazon warehouses?
As you might guess, the states with the largest number of Amazon warehouses match the states with the largest population. California ranks first in the state with the most Amazon warehouse locations. California tracks Texas, Illinois, Florida and Pennsylvania. The BigRentz report also found that there is a large concentration of warehouses in the northwest part of the country, specifically in Pennsylvania and New Jersey.
The states with the largest Amazon warehouse space per capita
The next part of the analysis from BigRentz moved away from the states with the largest number of warehouses and instead looked at the states with the most square feet per person, which included current and future warehouses.
Listed below are the most important countries:
1. Delaware (7.1 square feet per person)
2. Rhode Island (3.64 square feet per person)
3. Oregon (2.32 square feet per person)
4. Mississippi (1.76 square feet per person)
5. Tennessee (1.65 square feet per person)
6. Arkansas (1.56 square feet per person)
7. Kentucky (1.56 square feet per person)
8. Indiana (1.42 square feet per person)
9. Michigan (1.38 square feet per person)
10. Kansas (1.36 square feet per person)
You also see some of the smaller states in the country represented on this list including Delaware and Rhode Island. In fact, Delaware is home to the largest Amazon warehouse in the country. Despite being countries with some population and small footprint, they have a good representation of Amazon stores for their residents.
States with the least warehouse space per capita on Amazon
Similar to the section above, BigRentz looked at the US states with the least amount of warehouse space based on population size.
Listed below are the bottom countries on the list:
1. Iowa (0.28 square feet per person)
2. Idaho (0.35 square feet per person)
3. Nebraska (0.36 square feet per person)
4. Missouri (0.41 square feet per person)
5. South Carolina (0.42 square feet per person)
6. Alabama (0.51 square feet per person)
7. New York (0.53 square feet per person)
8. Louisiana (0.55 square feet per person)
9. Minnesota (0.57 square feet per person)
10. Virginia (0.63 square feet per person)
As you can see, both the Midwest and the South are well represented in the list of states with the lowest Amazon warehouse space per capita. One identifiable pattern seems to be that many of these states have lower populations. This list shows the need for more Amazon warehouse locations in these states.
The states with the largest Amazon warehouse space by total area square feet
The next part of Amazon warehouse analysis by BigRentz analyzed the states with the largest total storage space. As you might guess, many of the states on this list are the countries that also rank high for the largest number of people nationally. Eight of the top ten countries on this list also rank in the top ten for the states where the most people live.
Listed below are the top ten states with the most Amazon warehouse space:
1- California (319,65398 square feet total)
2- Texas (total 27,515,258 square feet)
3 – Illinois (677 833 14 square feet)
4- Florida (14,546,769 square feet in total)
5 – Pennsylvania (total area of Pennsylvania 14,289 603 square feet)
6. Michigan (1,398,924 square feet total)
7. Ohio (1,687,490 square feet gross)
8 – New Jersey (total square feet 525 728 127 feet)
9- Tennessee (11,440.967 square feet)
10. North Carolina (total 11,179,625 square feet)
Countries with the least Amazon Warehouse in terms of total area per square foot
On the flip side, the analysis also looked at the countries with the least amount of Amazon warehouse space. Similar to the above, the state that has emerged tends to be located in the flyover section of the state where the popular centers are few and far between.
Listed below are the bottom ten countries:
1. South Dakota (total 600,000 square feet of Amazon warehouse space)
2. Idaho (total 650,000 square feet of Amazon warehouse space)
3. Nebraska (700,000 square feet of Amazon warehouse space)
4. Iowa (total 910,000 square feet of Amazon warehouse space)
5. North Dakota (total 1,100,000 square feet of Amazon warehouse space)
6- Utah (total 2,130,843 square feet of Amazon warehouse space)
7. South Carolina (total 2,136,100 square feet of Amazon warehouse space)
8. New Mexico (total 250,000 square feet of Amazon warehouse space)
9- Missouri (total Amazon warehouse area 2,503,480 square feet)
10. Louisiana (total Amazon warehouse space, 2,570,000 square feet)
The analysis also found that only five states in the US are listed as not having a single Amazon warehouse. However, there are expansion plans for many of the countries on that list. An interactive map useful in BigRentz analysis charts the locations of future Amazon warehouse spaces.
The analysis also found that the total area of Amazon fulfillment centers worldwide is nearly 200 million square feet and is increasing day by day. Amazon also has more than 200,000 working robots in its warehouse and this number is expected to grow as well over the coming years.
Infographic by: bigrentz
Share this infographic on your site
You can also find more graphs in Visualistan